March 27, 2012

Trust Me! Ask Nelson Mandella

Below is an edited extract from my book "Quality Sales Through Measurable Management". This book is 85% the same book as Cultural Change Through Measurable Management" but slanted towards those with a sales background or a responsibility for sales. It speaks to the importance of developing a listening or pull style in order to develop trust within teams and with customers.

"In 1997 I was invited to speak at the Graduate Institute of Management & Technology in Johannesburg, South Africa. I was the guest of Andy Andrews the then director of GIMT and I was exposed to some of the most opulent boardrooms I’d ever been inside. These were very wealthy companies and I was suitably impressed by the furniture and the décor as well as the almost Royal treatment that a guru such as me attracts. In reality I was only getting an audience with these captains of South African industry because of Andy Andrews. They didn’t know me from Adam but they knew Andy Andrews and more importantly they trusted Andy not to waste their time with frivolous meetings. Years of listening to these people, working with them and following through on his promises had developed their trust in him to deliver what he promised and in Measurable Management he was promising results more powerful than anything else that they had ever experienced from GIMT before....."


".....On a return visit to Andy Andrews’ home he showed me a book. It was Nelson Mandella’s autobiography with a personalized message written inside to Andy. It said “Thank you for all that you have done toward the economic development of South Africa” and was signed Nelson Mandella. Andy held the book open at the personalized message, looked me in the eye and said “That’s Measurable Management”. I’m sure that GIMT and Andy Andrews were the ones responsible for Mr. Mandella’s gratitude but I also like to think that Measurable Management made a contribution and deserves a little of the credit. Trust is essential if you are going to develop quality sales and generate repeat business. In chapter one I wrote “Organizations that struggle with change basically have a problem with culture. In these organizations negativity, fear and internal politics are easily identified and these elements conspire to strangle change initiatives and improvement projects” How can trust exist in an organization such as this, filled with negativity, fear and internal politics? How can such an organization expect customer loyalty when there is so little customer focus?

Trust is a natural bi product of a Pull Style of leadership and a Pull Style of selling. Listen, support, encourage and deliver on your promises and you will be perceived as a trustworthy leader. Listen to the customer, support them after the sale and deliver on your promises and you will be perceived as a trustworthy salesperson".

Trust me I know what I’m saying, ask Nelson Mandella.

No comments:

Post a Comment