March 28, 2012

Rene Higuita - Amazing Goalkeeper Save

I can clearly remember watching the England v Columbia game live on TV back in 1995 and being totally amazed by a remarkable piece of goalkeeping. Before you check out the video of this superb save let me explain why I'm posting it on my blog. I think this save by Higuita demonstrates true customer focus. People watch football (soccer to my American friends) to be entertained and yet the fans are frequently at the bottom of the list of sports teams priorities. Too often it's all about the win even if it's boring to watch. When it comes to sport the spectator is clearly the customer. In the example below Higuita could have simply caught the ball and no one would have ever remembered but he decided to take a huge risk and satisfy the customer. If he had failed it would have been disastrous but he did something so unexpected and entertaining that we still talk about it today. It is probably the best example I can think of customer focused selflessness. The enormity of the risk is what would prevent most organizations from trying to satisfy their customers in a similar way but what if by having the nerve to take such a risk your customers talked positively about it for the rest of their lives?

How customer focused is your organization?


No comments:

Post a Comment